Looking at GDA's impact in our deaf and hard of hearing communities in 2019
Well, what a year 2019 has been for GDA - where do we start!
It's been another busy time for the charity as more and more children, young people and adults living with deafness in Gloucestershire, Swindon and Wiltshire and South Gloucestershire, come to GDA for support.
As we approach the end of the year, we thought it would be a nice opportunity to reflect on what the charity has achieved over the last twelve months, here's just a handful of highlights from the 2019...
- In March we hosted a Better Health Day which was held to educate the deaf community on issues around health and wellbeing, with particular reference to mental health
- In June, GDA hosted the world's first deaf-led radio show alongside BBC Radio Gloucestershire - one whole hour of radio in British Sign Language (BSL), with the show being live streamed on Facebook, gathering over 40,000 views
- We've hosted nearly 4,000 people to our free hearing aid maintenance clinics across Gloucestershire
- In July, a group of young deaf people conquered Snowdon, pushing themselves further than ever before
- 100 different challenges were completed as part of our GDA Turns 100 fundraising campaign
- We launched our first ever Wear it Loud in October, with over £1,600 being raised by local schools and businesses
- It was in October that GDA celebrated it's 100th anniversary - 100 years of supporting deaf people in Gloucestershire
- In December, we launched our 'It's my Christmas too' inclusion campaign to encourage more homes to be deaf-friendly this festive season
- We've seen the number of hours of communication support provided in the workplace, increase by a staggering 43% from 2018
- We launched a new and more accessible website
Our 2019 Impact Report really shows the significant impact GDA is making to the live of deaf, hard of hearing and deafened people in our communities.
As we leave behind another year, GDA must now focus on ensuring the vital services available to the thousands of children, young people and adults living with deafness, can continue in to the future.
If you would like to join us on our journey to helping deaf people, please donate to GDA by clicking here.
We look forward to welcoming you to GDA in 2020.